Saturday, October 1, 2022

Finally Getting Home!

 Friday, September 30. 2022

So, I've been up a while when Marilyn greets the day.  She's early, too, but we've got the whole day to play with.  After a bit we decide that coffee is a good idea and find that it is Starbuck's and we'll need a lot more sugar and cream than they've provided!  And there are only three cups' worth anyway!  Marilyn tries to call the front desk and finds that the handset needs to be charged.  Not a good time to tick her off!  She gets dressed and goes down to deal with them. After all, she's a rewards-club member and we're paying a lot of money for a room with no working phone and not enough coffee!!

Fancy lobby from the elevator

And from our breakfast table

Long story short - when she comes back up we have a fifty-dollar refund and a full refresh of the coffee supplies is on its way! We have another cup of coffee, because it would be churlish not to, and then go down to breakfast (which isn't included?!) where we finally figure out that we can split an omelet and have enough to eat!  Well, if we split a bagel with cream cheese afterwards.

Less food waste and it's cheaper!!

W don't have to check out until one, so we go back upstairs to continue playing with our photos and trying to remember what all the critters are! Eventually, though, we have to decamp and find that there is a work station in the lobby where we can continue playing and charge our equipment!

This is so cool!!  You flash your boarding pass and this shows up on the
big overhead screen - but only you can see it!! It tells you everything you need to know!

Our plan is to go check in with Delta around four o'clock for our flight that leaves at 6:50.  When I checked in line this morning they wanted to charge me $30 for my bag! So I need to talk to someone.  Our lady asks to see my Delta AmEx card, which I think is weird.  I know it gets me one free bag, but it should have been free anyway!  On well, it's all straightened out and we go through security one last time and head for our gate.  I get a text message from a Frontier tech who is at my house!  He was supposed to come tomorrow and I can't do much for him from Detroit!  He says someone else will come tomorrow at the regularly scheduled time, as he is going on vacation! I'm just thrilled that they remembered the appointment, what with the hurricane occupying everyone's attention! It will be great to have real wifi!  My angel neighbors had been letting me use theirs before the trip;  but I feel weird freeloading off of them! They do so much for me as it is!

Look at this cool train!!  It goes from one end of the A gates to the other and back again!


Marilyn has found us a restaurant near our gate, Catcora's Taproom, and we have the world's most expensive burger and chicken sandwich.  On the plus side, we actually got the QR menu to work! It's okay - we're going home!! 


The flight boards on time and I hit the seat lottery - no one is in the middle seat! It's a short flight, comparatively, and during my fifteen minute nap I miss the drinks and snack!  Oh well, I'm watching "Body of Lies" and shortly after it ends we land!!

At the other end of the shuttle Betsy and Barbara are waiting for us and now it feels like home!  They chauffeur us to their house where my car has been safe from the storm.  We transfer the luggage and I take Marilyn home and then drive those final eight miles.  Home!!  But first I have to move some stuff out of the way so I have room in the garage for my car! I drag everything into the house and don't do a thing but thank my lucky stars that I have power and water and Megan's wifi! Rosa is so happy to see me that she talks to me all night long and I get about three hours' sleep!

The wonderful Frontier guy comes in the morning and gives me a new router and all is right with the world.  Now all I have to do is retrieve all the mail, visit Publix, and finish updating this blog!  It's been the most amazing adventure ever!!  Roarrrrr!

Note - There are some photos and some assorted thoughts and remembrances that will get added in a day or two! But if you skip them, it won't be much of a loss!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Finally Getting Home!

 Friday, September 30. 2022 So, I've been up a while when Marilyn greets the day.  She's early, too, but we've got the whole day...